Book Club

AnaMardoll
Administrator
I went to book club last night -- with real people! -- and while it was lovely, I learned three things:

1. I've never been able to drive well past 10 pm and it's time for me to admit that this isn't going to change with age. At this point, maybe I need to stop meeting with Real People Book Clubs that are pretty much guaranteed to leave me driving home sleepy and foggy-brained.

2. If your best friend is making hot cocoa for the first time, you need to be there to help her not put in a 1:1 ratio of vanilla extract to cocoa powder. I forgot that simple rule last night.

3. It's really easy to feel like you're an ass when you're a member of X demographic group talking about a member of Y less-privileged group, as represented in the book in question. I've got to write a post on this, but I'm not sure what it will say yet.

Re: Book Club

Bell
How much vanilla extract? Good heavens. I can't even imagine what that must taste like.

I've never attended a book club, myself. It seems like something I'd enjoy, but I don't really know anyone in my area, and I almost certainly wouldn't be able to manage with the whole "going somewhere on a regular basis for the sole purpose of talking to people" thing.

Re: Book Club

AnaMardoll
Administrator
We were making hot cocoa "by the cup" with a frother and I didn't realize that -- I think -- 1 Tbsp of vanilla was being added to give it a sort of alcohol-y kick. About three cups into the process, Best Friend's boyfriend -- who is a skilled amateur cook -- bustled over and put a stop to it. It was VERY strong. Ha.

I'm thinking I almost need to join or start an online book club, but I'm worried that the time commitment will put people off.

Re: Book Club

Bell
A tablespoon? Of vanilla essence? Per cup? Good heavens. Yes, I imagine that would be a little on the strong side. Are you sure you were alright to drive, after that?

Well, if it turned out anything like our decon threads, I'd certainly be interested in an Ana-hosted book club. I don't know where to start with modern literature, anyway.

Re: Book Club

AnaMardoll
Administrator
I was very tired and a little dizzy, but this is not unusual for the rare times I drive at night. Is vanilla a soporific? I honestly don't know.

I kept myself alert with my Audible rendition of H.P. Lovecraft's "Shadow Over Innsmouth", and that was very useful. :)

We may have to start an online Book Club, then, if we can get some more interest. I think that could be very fun!

Re: Book Club

Bell
Ah, I don't really know about any actual effects of vanilla extract, it was just a joke. Probably could've worded it better.

"Shadow Over Innsmouth" sounds like a terrifying thing to listen to while driving home in the dark. I mean, the first part of the story is all about strange things half-seen in shadowed avenues, which seems a little on-the-nose for a drive home. My resistance to horror in general is pretty high, and most of Lovecraft's stories didn't do much for me in that sense, as much as I liked them for other reasons,* but Innsmouth was just sharp enough that I was pretty uncomfortable at night for the next few days, and that was in the comfort of my own home. But maybe that's just the thing you need to keep yourself from falling asleep at the wheel.

*Special exception goes to The Colour Out of Space, which managed to petrify me more than any other piece of fiction in years, for reason I have yet to fully understand. I feel like I should go read it again, try and figure out why it affected me so much, but the idea of touching it again actually makes me feel nervous. It might have something to do with the fact that, at the time of reading, I was in an unfamiliar, broken-down cottage, isolated in the middle of the French countryside, in the dead of night. Maybe it was more the circumstances, than the actual book? Then again, I was in the middle of a Lovecraft short story Marathon, and the ones I read before and after didn't prove nearly as sharp. I'm definitely going to need to read it again...

Re: Book Club

AnaMardoll
Administrator
I'm not a huge Lovecraft fan (largely out of laziness -- I haven't read more than 2 or 3 of his stories)(and the language he uses to describe non-white characters makes me a little uncomfortable, depending on the story), but I knew I'd love SOI from the first time I heard of the story. It definitely scares me (I'm easily scared), but the fear is less "uh-oh, that could happen to me" and more "oooh, creepy, coooool".

It's the fish-frog people living just off shore, I think. I live 8 hours from the nearest ocean, so I'm not one to be terribly scared by amphibians.

Zombies, though, those are a serious threat to my existence.