Quantcast

Weird Dreams

AnaMardoll
Administrator
Sometimes I wonder if other people dream about their co-workers. I do. I don't mean in a "fantasy" way, although that's one reason why I have to bite my tongue so I don't say "I dreamed about you last night!", but just in a "fill out the crowd" kind of way. Whenever I'm in a dream and standing in a crowd, my brain fills in faces for me and once it's cycled through family members, loved ones, close friends, and movie stars, it starts riffling through the "co-worker" bucket.

Re: Weird Dreams

pthalo
not coworkers, no. But I don't interact with other human beings in person very often.

Lately I've been having lots of dreams about the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis.

Also, in one my dreams I was 'splaining to someone about how verbs work in Navajo. I don't even speak Navajo.

Re: Weird Dreams

AnaMardoll
Administrator
And yet I'll bet in your dream you spoke Navajo flawlessly?

I have those dreams, but always in code languages for me...

Re: Weird Dreams

Gelliebean
I've heard - although I have no citations - that everyone you dream about is someone you've encountered at some point in your life; basically, that your brain fills-in-the-blanks of everyone you see in your dream with the cashier from last week, or the best friend you had when you were three, or a college professor from a class you barely remember even taking.  Make of that what you will.  :-)

Lately, I've been dreaming about all my coworkers because all my dreams have been taking place at work.  I enjoy the company of the people I work with, but this bringing the job home thing really needs to stop.  :-p

Re: Weird Dreams

pthalo
No, not in this one. In this one, I just knew a little more about how Navajo works linguistically than I do in real life.  Either that or my subconscious memorised a lot from the wikipedia article I read on Navajo grammar recently on a random amble about wikipedia.

I have had dreams of being fluent in a language I was learning though. In those cases, I think my brain really does fill in with lines that I've heard other people say before and assign meanings to them. Whether those meanings would be correct in the real world I don't know -- when I wake up I don't usually remember specific lexical items.

I can do a lot of things in dreams that are "supposed" to be impossible according to pop science. Like I can read in my dreams and the words stay in place and make sense and the words don't change if I look up and look down at the page again.

Re: Weird Dreams

chris the cynic
Ana, I had a dream with you in it last night.  The details are hazy (I don't even remember what you looked like) but I seem to remember the fates of nations hanging in the balance, fiction of some kind being important, possibly something about Christmas presents, and at some point I was too weak to stand up on my own (I was sitting the passenger seat of a car at the time) and you helped me to my feet.  And that's all I remember.

It was terribly complicated and, as my dreams go, quite long, but everything else beyond what I've already said has faded from memory.

Re: Weird Dreams

AnaMardoll
Administrator
Ahaha, that's awesome. I'm honored that in between saving nations with fiction, I helped you to your feet. That is totally me.

Re: Weird Dreams

AnaMardoll
Administrator
And, yeah, I dream about the blog. A few weeks ago I dreamed that The Escapist got a court order against me from posting because I was starting to "be funny" and they didn't want me to break into their monopoly (in the dream). And I was crushed, because I really like the Yahtzee and Unskippable videos and here I was having to go to court against them and how would ya'll survive without Twilight posts while I sorted all the legal stuff out??

It wasn't a tense dream, more just confusing. I laughed so hard when I woke up. Ah, hugs to you all.

Re: Weird Dreams

Dezster
I had a dream the other night that I was cuddling in bed with a guy who is NOT my boyfriend...

I always feel so bad when I have dreams like that!  I feel like if I have dreams of me with a guy, it should be with Boyfriend...

Re: Weird Dreams

AnaMardoll
Administrator
I think that is probably normal, or at least I can vouch to having similar dreams from time to time. I think my brain just fills in people at random regardless of real life relationships.

What's particularly startling is when I dream and my coworkers are there. Sometimes I'd like to tell them "hey, I had a dream last night and you were in it", but that's going to come out WRONG even though they were just fleeing the zombie hoard with me and not doing anything naughty.